For using Blogless just upload the zip's content to your PHP enabled webspace. That's it.
Go into your webbrowser and call
After passing the initial platform check, you will have to set an initial password to secure your website. If you forget it or want to change it later, just delete password.php. It will be generated from skretch next time when using Blogless. Now log in and after that you can do the following:
- First press Settings to set some article Defaults and decide if you would like to generate an RSS feed, a sitemap.xml (good for Google) and if you would like to show a list of articles at the bottom of your sites homepage
- Press New Article to write a new article (empty the form fields to see a description)
- Press Edit Index to change this website's homepage index.html
- Press View Site to visit your website's homepage
It is best to first go to the settings page and provide some defaults for your articles, like the default author for new articles, his web profile and some other settings. You can always make individual settings for each article later, for example for guest articles. If the twitter id is set, your articles will appear as a nice "Twitter Cards" (of type summary), if referenced in a tweet.
Also check, if the automatically guessed base url is right (it should be - you could change it to the real site's url, if you are generating your articles offline and load them up).
Now decide, if you want to have certain functionalities switched on:
- Sitemap - this gives Google and other web crawlers the chance to get an overview of your site. It is good to switch it on, if you would like to get every article you did write found by Google or other search engines.
- RSS Feed - Switch this on if you want to provide a feed for your website. Well, you would make a blog from blogless.
- Article List - At the bottom of your website's index page there will be a list of all articles written ever.
- Pingback - If you switch this on, when saving a newly written article Blogless will inform every other referenced blog, so that automatically comment links will be added for their articles. This means, that you will honor the original authors referenced by you and also, that possibly links to your article will be generated on their side.
Write a new Article
Per default the article name is the actual date in ISO format (YYYY-MM-DD). Keep it, if you like to just write one article a day or less. For me it works pretty well. In the end you are completely free to name your articles how you like. Try to better use just ASCII characters and dashes. It will work with any unicode character, but the url may look a bit crazy in this case, hard to remember.
If you edit the sites index.html file there will be no possibillity to change the filename, it's just index.html, the homepage of your site.